Saturday, January 3, 2009

New episode... year end edition!



In this episode Stephanie and I discuss the good and the bad of Pop Culture in 2008. We had a lot to talk about and there was some good stuff that we just couldn't fit into the show (You can see by the show being four parts is one example.)

So, over the next week or so we'll be blogging about some of our other best and worst of 2008 thoughts. But, for now, and as promised in the episode, a few more of Dan's 2008 thoughts.

Worst movie of 2008: "Hellboy 2"

I took my girlfriend to see it, building it up: "I sear, the first one was really cool! It was fun! There was this ninja made of sand, and Ron Perlman was really funny, and it was just awesome! You'll like it, I promise!" Well, lo and behold, Guillermo Del Toro must've dropped acid with Tim Burton and Frank Miller, because this movie was a hefty, never-ending pile of crap. As they trudged through reintroducing EVERY CHARACTER, my girlfriend stared at me. "No, no, it'll get better, they have to do this for people who didn't see the first one." Then they hammed up the dialouge, threw in some random characters like a German doctor made of smoke (ripping himself off??) and a legless demon and... well, it was just a never-ending onslaught of useless garbage. By the time Hellboy killed the giant monster that turned into flowers, covering the street in greenery like a Nissan commercial, I was standing, yelling at the screen "Why would you do this to me??!!" So, all in all, Hellboy II makes you wonder why an original that was good but only got mediocre fanfare would inspire Del Toro to make another, but so... so so so much worse.

Best TV of 2008:

"LOST"- Of course. This was my first season watching it on TV since I was shown the light through a week-long intensive of the first three seasons. And I wasn't disappointed! This show still has the best writing on TV, and some of the best acting. Michael Emerson (who plays Ben) came in on Season 2 and has really stolen the spotlight as the enigmatic and always crafty Benjamin Linus.

"HOUSE"- Another show I recently picked up the adddiction to. It's consistantly interesting, educational, and hillarious. At times, it can get formulaic, but with the addition of a new staff last season, including Kal Penn, the show knows how to keep it fresh. Hugh Laurie is most likely to win a Golden Globe for being the most consistantly amazing actor on TV.

"HEROES"- It only gets number three for coming back from a horrible season 2. I'm not saying it's by any means fantastic, it's still running on "E" and the car's shaking, but it just might get to the gas station in time. I don't know where Tim Kring is getting his actors, but if I had to hear Papa Petrelli READ another line, I would've put one between his eyes to. Once again, Sylar saves the day. :-) ** Tim and Stephanie note: The island sun must have fried Dan's brain a bit. "Heroes" not only was running on empty, but also ran someone over, went off a cliff and exploded. **

"FRINGE"- Thank God there's at least one new show with potential! I've been watching at a slow pace, btu I've come to the conclusion that if a stronger storyline is formed, Fringe could be the next X-files. By the way, did anyone else notice that the kid from the Mighty Ducks is in it, and his dad sounds like Hans? ** Tim note: I agree. **

"THE OFFICE"- For a show that's NEVER really been bland, The Office is kind of juggling the ball. It still gets about one roaring laugh from me every now and then, but with Pam going away for a while, Angela getting married, etc, too many changes start to take th elife out of the show. Very nice bombshell in last week's episode, though! ** Tim note: Referring to the outing of Angela/Dwight having sex **

No comments: