Friday, January 30, 2009

Avert your eyes!

I saw something that almost made me cry today:

http://defamer.com/5142838/leaked-gi-joe-art-suggests-movie-actually-being-made-by-8+year+olds

To start, I loved "GI Joe" as a child. I loved the cartoon and got the toys (almost all, my mother refused to buy the bathtub sized aircraft carrier.)

The best part of "GI Joe" was the personalities. Each person had their own, unique, look and special part of the team.

For weeks we have seen the black supersuited "Joes," all dressed almost exactly the same in leather-type outfits. OK, that was bad enough. Scarlett in black? Wha?

http://defamer.com/5140501/gi-joe-posters-still-hiding-joseph-gordon+levitt-as-gawky-cobra-commander

So the reveal of the bad guys puts the final nail in the coffin for me. Especially since "The Doctor" is Cobra Commander.

LAME.

The characters themselves are iconic. Looking blindly, out of all of them, I could only recongize Snake Eyes (because of the visor and sword) and Scarlett (red hair kind of a giveaway). Without knowing who plays who I would never know that Zartan, Ripcord and Destro are in the movie.

I was willing to give director Stephen Sommers a chance. I kind of liked the "Mummy" movies and "Deep Rising" was OK. Plus, I met him once and he is a nice guy.

One less Summer movie to see now.

No comments: