Wednesday, January 21, 2009

DVD of the week: "Moonlight" The Complete Series

If you needed more proof that CBS dropped the ball when they canceled "Moonlight," look no further than your local Best Buy or Target.

When I woke up this morning I was still buzzing about yesterday's events, but more than that I knew today was the day that I would finally be purchasing the long awaited DVD collection of "Moonlight."

For the uninitiated "Moonlight" is the excellent show starring Alex O' Loughlin as tortured vampire Mick St. John. The show follows Mick as he uses his vampire abilities as a private investigator and teams up with a reporter who he shares a unique history with.

What makes the show great is the way it focused on developing the relationship between Mick and his love interest Beth. It also featured a fantastic supporting cast of vampires who came from all walks of life.

A fan favorite was the friendship between Mick and his best friend, Josef Kosten, an ancient playboy vampire played by Jason Dohring of "Veronica Mars" fame. Mick and Josef may be polar opposites but they would do anything to protect each other.

The show was unceremoniously canceled by CBS after a single season, however it features one of the most rabid fan bases, so I knew I would have to be quick to get my copy.

However, I thought that the Inauguration would provide me with a one day cushion. I was wrong, as several stores were already sold out.

I wonder if this run on the DVD is giving executives an incentive to resurrect the show, it's not like they're showing anything else besides "CSI" and "NCIS."

No comments: