Wednesday, December 24, 2008

New episode up and an issue with movie soundtracks



In this episode I talked a bit about "Yes Man" and how I enjoyed the music in the movie, especially the Zooey Deschanel parts. I knew she could sing from "Elf" but I had no idea singing was going to be a part of her character in this film.

Here is an example of one of the songs from the movie:



Funny stuff. But, here is my main issue with actors singing in movies. If it rocks and is cool, why aren't the movie companies releasing these songs ahead of time? Put them on some radio stations or release them as ITunes singles. Get some real buzz going. Heck, put out an official YouTube video and watch the hits rack up.

This move would have been perfect for "Walk Hard," but it wasn't until after I saw the movie that I fell in love with the music. Who knew that John C. Reilly could sing like that? I didn't.


I first felt this way with this gem of a video from the Hugh Grant movie "Music and Lyrics," which we watched in the newsroom at least two dozen times (a lowball estimate):



Click on the video to take you to the main page and look at the number of hits on that video alone: 5,764,723! A vast majority of those hits were AFTER the movie was released. Imagine how much more money "Music and Lyrics" would have made then?

Just a thought.

No comments: