Sunday, January 25, 2009

Life without TiVo

About a week ago I experienced some technical difficulties with my main television, a big screen in the living room that has all the bells and whistles. This is the TV that is hooked up to the HD cable box with DVR. That means I've been without a TiVo for a solid week.

To be honest with you I'm wondering how I lived the first half of my life without digital recording. Not only am I missing my recorded shows, I find myself constantly wanting to rewind a program so I can watch certain scenes again, and on regular cable that isn't possible.

I'm also stuck watching commercials, a practice I loathe. Plus, the other night I had to try and watch "Bones" and "Smallville" at the same time and trust me it didn't quite work. Luckily "Smallville" was a little boring this week.

My other problem is that many HD channels run on east coast time, which means I can watch several shows three hours early. Without the choice of an early viewing I had to choose between "Battlestar Galactica" and "Psych."

These issues have got me wondering what I did before DVR. I remember recording soap operas in the daytime, but how did I ever watch all of my primetime programming without a TiVo handy.

With February sweeps looming and award season in full swing be assured preparations have been made and a repair man will be in before week's end. However, I'm still left asking myself if I may be a little too dependent on my DVR?

Who am I kidding, I lost my battle with my television set a long time ago.

No comments: