Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Less commercials=happier Tim

One thing I loathe is commercials. I hate sitting through them. I hate having them break up super interesting moments during the show.

I even started hating them playing now before movies at movie theaters.

One of my favorite new shows "Fringe" does something a little different. Most shows' commercials are around two minutes 20 seconds long (average). With "Fringe?" 60-90 seconds.

Plus at the start of the commercial break it tells you "Fringe will return in 60 seconds." Which tells me that I have exactly one minute to run into the kitchen to get my drink and make it back.

So for each hour there will only be about five minutes of commercials, which is more than half the normal time. Check a DVD of hour long shows, it states episodes as being 44 minutes each. That's 16 minutes of commercials.

Less time for commercials and more time for the show. More enjoyment for the audience. And, if you think about it, better for the advertisers. Wait, what? Yeah, think about it. With fewer commercials the audience is more likely to remember the ads that ran.

Tonight there was a trailer for "Friday the 13th" and a few phone companies (Verizon and Metro PCS). Yeah, normally I couldn't tell you that.

Fox is calling it "Remote-Free TV" as this quote from the Fox up fronts in May 2008 explains:

"It's a simple concept and potentially revolutionary," said Fox Entertainment Chairman Peter Liguori. "We're going to have less commercials, less promotional time, and less reason for viewers to use the remote. We're going to redefine the viewing experience."

Redefine the viewing experience and make me love Fox just a little more.

1 comment:

Desiree Perez said...

Now just get FOX to drop it's ultra conservative news/commentary and I might watch it too!