Monday, January 12, 2009

Globes pre-shows

For more on my thoughts on the actual awards show itself, watch the next episode of Viewpoints On...

But, I wanted to take a second to talk about the Golden Globes pre-shows on E! and NBC.

The one on E! was two hours long so I caught a little of it before the real pre-show started. I don't expect much out of Ryan Seacrest, especially in the journalistic integrity department, and he didn't disappoint. E! is really good at kissing famous butt. How about you just interview the people? Or Giuliana Rancic proclaiming "Slumdog Millionaire" the greatest movie of the year in the presence of the film's stars.

And of course "Viewpoints On... D-bag of the year" Ben Lyons had to show up and annoy me.

The best, and sad, part was Seacrest doing his best stalker impersonation trying to "score" an interview with Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. They ignored him so much that he was standing there on camera just calling their names (a foot or two away from them) until he just walked away. NICE. Then after that debacle, Rancic, announced on camera that "Brad and Angelina" were right behind her and she had to go try to get them to come over.

Try and guess what they did?

As the "official" NBC pre-show started I kept repeating "Please no Billy Bush, please no Billy Bush." Of course Nancy O'Dell had to host it. Brooke Burke was also a host, I know she has a little bit of experience interviewing people so that was alright. And then she went to Tiki Barber, "great, a football player" I thought.

Boy was I wrong. He was the best interviewer of the night! He kept eye contact with each person he was interviewing, didn't keep looking at his note cards (coughhahanancyo'dellcough) and had a great personality to interact with each star. He really made O'Dell look bad.

And in turn, made me happy.

No comments: