Saturday, July 25, 2009

Ugh, not the best day ever

After being grumpy with the "Lost" panel I was hoping to cheer myself up with a few different things.

I was set to interview the cast of "Fringe," then I was going to try to get into the panel then finish the night off with a "City of Heroes" game panel.

Right after the "Lost" panel I headed for the press room to type everything up. I noticed that I had a little bit of time before the interviews were set to start so I headed over to the DC Comics "Blackest Night" panel.

The panel started late, of course. By the time they really started going, and talking about the different philosophies of the different corps I had to run to the interviews. OK, it's cool, I am leaving something cool to do something cooler.

But, "Fringe" wasn't in the press room that they told us. "The Cleveland Show" was. And there were a bunch of journalists sitting around wondering what was going on. After a good while someone told us that the "Fringe" interviews were moved to another room... halfway across the convention center.

Walking fast I take off toward the room, by the time I got there 15 minutes had already passed and the room was PACKED. Not a seat to be had. And if you didn't have a seat, no interviews. Plus, half of the interviews were already over. I was beyond mad. I just walked out.

Add to that the line for the "Fringe" panel was insane and obvious I wouldn't get in. Plus, the "Iron Man 2" panel was at the same time and I knew I couldn't get into that either.

OK, that's cool, I'll just head to the show floor. BIG, big mistake. Words can't describe the sheer amount of people on the floor. It was worse than the worst traffic on a freeway. There were points where I was standing still for minutes trying to get through.

The "City of Heroes" panel wasn't for another hour, but I thought I would just sit in on whatever panel was happening before and just get a good seat.

Enter Jeff Katz and his company "American Original" or as I like to call it "Ow my head hurts."

Katz is a comic book writer and movie producer and if you didn't know that he'd tell you over and over. It was one hour of patting themselves on the back with news of what their company was going to do. I think they are a comics company, but also a PR business, but it was hard to figure out. "Hey, we're cool! I know movie people!" He also called Blair Butler from G4 one of the leading women in the comics movement. I wanted to throw my phone. Really painful.

Thankfully the "City of Heroes" panel was good, so not a complete waste of a day.

No comments: