Thursday, July 9, 2009

My summer show picks

To start, I have not seen a lot of the new offerings for the summer television season. "Hawthorne" is still sitting on my DVR and "Nurse Jackie?" Well, even I can't go there. Even for journalistic curiosity.

So my two picks for good things to watch over the summer are "The Philanthropist" and "Top Chef Masters."

I know Stephanie didn't dig "The Philanthropist" too much, but I did. I like that Jesse L. Martin is back on television and even Neve Campbell is good. Sure, it can get a little preachy now and then but what show doesn't nowadays.

The visuals are excellent, including the first episode where the backdrop was a flood in Africa. James Purefoy, who you might remember from the first "Resident Evil" movie, is great. He is sort of a Bruce Wayne/Batman type character, just without the tights and super kung fu moves. He has some rough edges, but doesn't mind spending tons of money to help out those who need it.

It is inspiring also. It is much better than just watching murder and death all night.

I also really like "Top Chef Masters" mostly because it is devoid of that manufactured reality show drama. I want to see talented people cook, not talking about each other in coffessionals or long scenes of them away from cooking. These top chefs, very famous ones, are there for charity so they don't act like idiots.

Plus, some of their food actually looks good.

No comments: