Thursday, July 23, 2009

How disappointment turned to excitement

So, Thursday was our big day. Two panels Stephanie and I both wanted to see and two sets of interviews to be conducted.

We had the chance to interview the casts of "Psych" and "Burn Notice." But, the scheduling was a complete nightmare.

First was the "Psych" interviews, but they were going on at the same time as the "Burn Notice" panel. Right after that was the "Burn Notice" interviews, but they were going on at the same time as the"Psych" panel. Gotta love great planning.

Stephanie and I worked it out that I would handle "Psych" and she would take "Burn Notice," although I'm not sure if Michael Shanks being at the "Burn Notice" stuff helped her choice or not.

So, Stephanie got into Ballroom 20 for the "Burn Notice" panel and I went to interview the cast of "Psych." I had a blast. Everyone was so funny and nice.


Finally got what they think of "The Mentalist," which is basically a dramatic version of "Psych." Steve Franks, creator and producer of the show, basically called "The Mentalist" a generic version of "Psych," which I kind of agree with. Sorry Simon Baker.

Dule Hill and James Roday are probably the best duo on television today and sitting down to talk with them only proved that fact. They seem to have that friendship and chemistry like they do on the show. They played off each other during the interview so well.

And don't get me started on how beautiful Maggie Lawson is in person...

I asked the network people if there was a way for me to get into the "Psych" panel that was happening in just a few minutes, since a huge line had formed while I was interviewing the cast.

"Run really fast," she told me. Lovely.

I get out of the interviews and the sheer amount of people in line tell me there is no way I'm getting in there. I call Stephanie and we work out that she'll just stay in the Ballroom while I do the "Burn Notice" interviews too. I felt bad, I did. This was supposed to be a two person job, but there were really no other options.

Of course it's common knowledge that Bruce Campbell rocks. I got breaking news from Campbell and creator Matt Nix that they are working on a television prequel movie about Campbell's character on the show Sam Axe. That was cool.

Campbell was also asked what part he would play in Sam Raimi's "World of Warcraft" movie that was just announced.

"Probably a garbage man," he said.

It was a great few hours to be had and Stephanie even enjoyed the panels. I wouldn't say we both won, but the best was made out of a crappy situation.

No comments: