Saturday, July 25, 2009

Mixed feeling for 'Lost' panel

Remembering how early I got in line Friday for the Warner Bros. panel, I got up just as early for what is called the last "Lost" panel at Comic-Con.

I rushed to get to the line about 7:15 a.m. and there were already about a hundred more people in line than yesterday. But, in my rush to get out I left all reading material.

And the panel didn't start until 11 a.m.

So I literally just sat there for three hours. Doing nothing. It was almost unbearable. Thankfully the weather was great, because if it was sunny and hot I might have just got up and left. By the time they started letting us in I was a little on the grumpy side. Sitting there bored for three hours will do that to anyone.

As we entered they handed out materials for something called "Lost University," http://lostuniversity.org/, which looks to be another of ABC yearly internet related promotions of the show.

Onto the panel itself. People went crazy when Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindelof came out and they did a little skit about taking the final pages of the series finale and locking them in a box, only to reveal what's inside on Jimmy Kimmel the night of the finale.

This started something that annoyed me. Lots of skits, all while dozens and dozens of people waited in line to ask questions. They had comedian Paul Sheer "ask" a question, which turned out to be a horrible, horrible skit that went on about five minutes too long.

Then Jorge Garcia appeared to ask a question that lead into a long skit between him and Michael Emerson. While funny, still wasted a lot of time.

There were a few news bits to come out; Juliet and Farrady will be back, Dharma won't have much of a presence this season and there won't be any more time travel or flash forwards.

They also showed a few clips that really hint toward what this season will be about: Oceanic Airlines saying they haven't had a crash in 30 years, Hurley owning a chicken place with a new special he got while vacationing in Australia and an "America's Most Wanted" clip where Kate Austin is wanted for killing her step-father's co-worker and escaping from a federal marshal.

That prompted Lindelof to say "Interesting, I thought Kate DID kill her step-father."

To me, it looks like Jack's plan DID work and they never crashed on the island.

The panel was only one hour and could have, and probably should have, been two. Everyone left happy, but me. I was still a little grumpy.

No comments: