Thursday, July 23, 2009

First panel of Comic-Con

I was going to have my first panel of Comic-Con be the Entertainment Weekly's Wonder Women one, but saw that Ballroom 20 was near empty for the panel right before that one with "Quantum Quest."

I thought "Well, at least I'll be able to sit down..."

"Quantum Quest" is a CGI animated film that is based around real scientific space data about surfing protons.

Yes, surfing space protons. With dreadlocks.

From what Stephanie tells me, almost the same exact panel was shown last year, with the same special video clips by Neil Armstrong and Chris Pine being shown at last year's Comic-Con too.

Three things that stood out during this panel:

1. The filmmakers are really pushing that they want this film to not just entertain, but educate children about science. I have an 8-year-old niece, she won't want to see this movie. I can guarantee that.

2. The movie does have one thing going for it, it has voice work by two Darth Vaders (Hayden Christensen and James Earl Jones) and two Capt. Kirks (Pine and William Shatner). Which, no matter what I think of the film, is still pretty freaking cool.

3. Actors Doug Jones ("Hellboy") and Robert Picardo ("Star Trek: Voyager") both are really funny men and should do a buddy movie together. I would pay good money to see that. I think if they were not on the panel it would have been very, very boring.

No comments: