Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Candace's 'Being Human' rebuttal


Along with Stephanie, I also tuned into SyFy's series premiere of "Being Human". However, I did not have the same thoughts on it as she did.

First of all, know that I have not seen one episode of the UK series before. I do not have BBC America and own none of the DVDs. I watched this pilot without knowing anything about the original series other than that it is very popular over there, and gaining popularity over in the US.

However, I can say that I have been looking forward to this premiere for months, mainly because it is the return of Sam Witwer to the SyFy Channel, as he is one of the many previous stars from "Battlestar Galactica". Though he was not a main character, I always loved him as Crashdown, and am very excited for this opportunity he has to be a main role.

My opinion on the Pilot is quite the opposite of Stephanie's. I went into this episode truly hoping it would be good, and I wasn't disappointed. Most of all my closest friends know what one of the first things that gets me hooked into a series or a movie is: the dialogue. I think the opening montage is very well done, and the one line that immediately interested and impressed me is that of: "You wake up from your nightmares...we don't."

It's made perfectly clear, that neither Aidan, a vampire, or Josh, a werewolf, are handling their undead curse very well. And instead of struggling alone, they decide to move in together, and that might be a little easier. A chance for them move on from a struggling past and a future of pretending to be human as much as possible. But, it's really never that easy.

Especially when you find out that you will be living with a ghost. This scene, was the real hook for me. After Aidan and Josh find that their house is also being inhabited by Sally, one of its previous owners, I was done for. I'm already invested.

Sally: How can you see me?
Aidan: Well, think of us as different countries on the same continent.
Josh: Oh my god, that's beautiful. Really. We're Africa.

The dialogue is witty and definitely centered to the younger, smarter fantasy audience. In other words, this is not another 'The Vampire Diaries' or 'True Blood'. Not that there is anything wrong with those series. This series however is meant for a different more specific audience. Not for the hormonal teenager, or the classic science fiction fan. It's for a fan like me. One that loves vampires and werewolves, but is tired of seeing them only written for teenage girls and lonely older women. For the fan that misses the perfect miss of comedy and drama that "Stargate SG-1" and "Stargate: Atlantis" was so perfect at.

In fact, the very first thing I thought after the episode was over is, "Supernatural fans are going to love this series." It's smart, witty, dark, sarcastic, and full of the same kind of mythology. That is the kind of fan this series is meant to be watched by. The kind of series that the SyFy Channel has been missing since the end of "Stargate: Atlantis".

Along with plenty of sarcasm and wit being thrown around, I thought there was also just enough heart to make me want to keep watching. The two scenes that were real stand outs both involved Aidan and his dilemma. One night, when Aidan gets home, Sally is crying on the couch. When Aidan reaches his hand out to comfort her, they both realize that they yearn for the one thing that neither of them can have: human touch. It is a sweet, heartfelt scene. The other is of Aidan calling the phone number on the missing person's poster of the girl he killed in the beginning of the episode and letting her family know she is dead. Both of those scenes officially have me invested in Aidan's story and struggle to be human.

And I have nothing but good things to say about Mark Pellagrino's role as Bishop, Aidan's former mentor. As always he is fantastic, and is another great reason to watch this series.

The last comment I would like to make is that I see a possible bright future for the chemistry and bromance between actors Sam Witwer and Sam Huntington, and their characters Aidan and Josh. Give me and few more episodes, and they might even make it onto my Favorite TV Bromances that I am trying to put together.

So, unlike Stephanie, I will definitely be tuning in next week, and may just have another reason to talk about another fantastic vampire series every week. I might have to start doing Vampire Round Ups every week...

No comments: