Friday, August 14, 2009

A 'District 9' quick comment

*The new episode of "Viewpoints On..." has been delayed until Monday due to technical issues*


Today I went and caught the first showing of "District 9" at the Riverside Plaza theater. I'll hold off on my full review until Monday's show, but in the meantime I have a few thoughts on what I saw.

First off there were children in the audience, like young children. My niece is eight and the children were smaller than her. This is not a film for kids AT ALL. There are lots of people getting blown to bits, limbs being ripped off etc. When will parents learn?

Second, this movie has a reported budget of $30 million dollars. And the effects are jaw-droppingly amazing. It's sad when I look at a movie like "G.I. Joe" and see crappy CGI effects and know it's budget was $175 million. The aliens are almost all CGI, but blend so well into the real backgrounds and interact with the real people seamlessly.

Third, the director of this film, Neill Blomkamp has never directed a full length feature before. Wow, way to come out of the corner swinging. You would think someone who has been directing for years and years made this film. Another noticeable thing was the acting of the lead Sharlto Copely, who I thought did a fantastic job. As soon as I got home I looked him up on IMDB.com to see what other movies he has been in. I normally do this with actors I am not aware of.

Come to find out he has never acted before this! Amazing!

This is for sure a good way to end the summer movie season. Very original.

No comments: