Monday, October 12, 2009

Where's the 'Stargate' in 'Stargate: Universe'

Right up front I want to let everyone know that I'm a huge "Stargate" fan. I've seen every episode of both shows and know a ridiculous amount of useless facts about the characters and stories.

So, when news came of a new "Stargate" TV show, I was excited. However, the show's producers said that it would be darker and more character driven than the previous two shows. This worried me since the chemistry among the crews and the distinctive sense of humor are two of the reasons for the franchise's success.

Though I feel unsure of this new direction, I still decided to give it a chance, because hey, it's still "Stargate."

However, after watching the first three hours of "Stargate: Universe," I'm beginning to think the show is just an average sci-fi show with only a passing connection to the franchise.

Don't get me wrong there are fun characters and an interesting premise but the execution is underwhelming so far. The latest episode left me bored and flipping channels 15 minutes in.

So, "Stargate: Universe" I'm putting you on notice, if you don't get it together I may have to continue to get my "Stargate" fix from "SG:1" and "Atlantis."

You don't have to reinvent the wheel just do what has already been successful for 15 seasons.

No comments: