Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Like picking your favorite child

Sometimes at the global headquarters of Inscaped, when Stephanie and I are diligently working hard we need to listen to a little music to lighten the mood.

The other day was a Weezer day, just a day when I would play the next song on YouTube depending on what was in the Related Videos tab.

A few started popping up with "The Top 10 Weezer songs." That made me think, out loud, why I have never made a list. Especially considering they are my favorite band.

So, I did. And I'll spoil the top spot right here. One thing that annoyed me with a lot of lists I saw was the exclusion of "Say It Aint So," which is arguably the best Weezer song ever. Any list not including it was automatically dq'd.

Don't agree? Let's take this outside. I'll meet you there at 12:30, right behind the library.

Now that No. 1 is spoiled, sorry for the lack of spoiler alerts, here are the top three songs from each Weezer CD plus my favorite unlreased track.

The "Blue" album - "Surf Wax," "Only in Dreams," "Say It Aint So."

"Pinkerton" - "Why Bother," "Across the Sea," "The Good Life."

The "Green" album - "Hash Pipe," "Photograph," "Island in the Sun."

"Maladriot" - "Keep Fishin’," "Take Control," "Possibilities."

"Make Believe" - "Peace," "This is Such a Pity," "Haunt You Every Day."

The "Red" album - "Pork and Beans," "Thought I Knew," "The Angel and the One."

And the unreleased track "Hey Domingo," which I love beyond words and can't fathom why it was never released. Check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WD0ht2g2s0

Now this list is not in any sort of order besides "Say It Aint So" at No. 1. And that's not to say there are a ton more Weezer songs I love. Songs like "Undone the Sweater Song," "Buddy Holly," "Perfect Situation," "O, Girlfriend," "Slob" and many more.

There are also many reasons why I love each song. An example would be "Pork and Beans" because it came out right before I went to Japan and I must have played that song dozens of times over there because it was uplifting and now I'll always connect it with going to Tokyo.

Explaining the rest? Maybe another day and another blog.

No comments: