Monday, October 19, 2009

Saying goodbye to a relationship

Breaking up is hard to do.

Breaking up with a television show seems to be a lot harder.

And sometimes more drama filled than a marathon of "Grey's Anatomy."

First a little background. It was around March of 2005, I was young and hopeful for the future. I met this wonderful television show named "The Office" and it was love at first sight.

I watched all the episodes, bought all the DVDs, played the horrible computer game and ransacked Target's dollar section of all its "Office" pens, papers and magnets.

It was a great relationship. I loved the show's sense of humor and even its kinder side like when Michael showed up to Pam's art show when no one else cared enough to.

And the show loved me watching. It got money out of me and got great word of mouth from me telling everyone how much I loved the show.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago. I was all ready for our big date for the season premiere of the show. I was a little disappointed. It didn't really seem like the show cared anymore. It was reusing old plot points that I have seen before. And the sense of humor that I had grown to love was missing.

As the weeks passed and more episodes were watched I came to a horrific realization.

We were growing apart.

I stuck with it enough to get to Jim and Pam's wedding. That's when I realized I needed to make a change. Jim and Pam have always been the good people on the show. Against everyone else who are basically horrible human beings. But now Jim and Pam were just as bad... and it broke my heart.

At the 35 minute point of the one hour episode I turned the episode off. I then told my friends that I was no longer going to watch "The Office." And they reacted like normal people would, questioning my reasons.

Somehow it even got back to my mother. She kept asking me "Are you sure you're going to stop watching?" and "But you've been watching for so long!" She even cut out an article in the Press-Enterprise with Jim and Pam on it.

As if to point out what I'd be missing. I fear that there is an intervention in my near future.

But there are other fish in the sea of Thursday nights at 9 p.m. I've known "CSI" for a number of years. And that "Fringe" show has been sending me messages on Facebook.

No comments: