Thursday, February 19, 2009

Prepping for our big Oscar show

So, right now I am knee deep in research for the Academy Awards episode of "Viewpoints On..." Lots of statistics and figures. A ton of information.

I am going to put a lot of it, or try, into the show. But, since there is literally a million different things to discuss here is an interesting topic:

"Great directors who never won a Best Director Oscar" and I am not counting "Honorary" ones.

And the list will shock you.
  • Robert Altman
  • Cecil B. De Mille
  • John Frankenheimer
  • Alfred Hitchcock
  • Stanley Kubrick
  • Akira Kurosawa
  • Sidney Lumet
  • Orson Welles

And here are a few contempory directors that have never won:

  • Tim Burton
  • Spike Lee
  • Michael Mann
  • Brian De Palma
  • Ridley Scott
  • Peter Weir
  • DARREN ARONOFSKY! (Robbed for a nomination this year)
  • David Fincher (At least got a nomination this year)
  • Chris Nolan

Yeah I left Tarintino off the list. All complaints can be sent to Stephanie Holland care of Viewpoints.

Also, Gus Van Sant... yeah I'm talking to you. You lost me at "Elephant."

No comments: