Monday, July 18, 2011

ABC Family's original movie 'Cyberbully'

The new movie Cyberbully premiered on ABC Family tonight, and I just thought it deserved a little review because of the important subject matter.

Although they may not be the best movies made in the world, I have always enjoyed ABC Family's original movies because of the subjects that they approach. Cyberbully centers around one teenage girl and how dangerous and harmful bullying over the internet can become.

As a member of a number of social networks on the internet, I have been on the end of a number of bullying situations. Whether it was because of something I said, how I look, or fandoms that I am part of. I can't tell you how many times I have gotten centered out for being a fan of the rock band My Chemical Romance, whom many call a suicide band. Let's just say that being called a "death obsessed cutter" never goes down well in the MCRmy... So yeah, I've been there, and it's not fun. And this is a very important matter to confront, especially since both my and the younger generations practically live on the internet.

Emily Osment did a fabulous job portraying the emotionally damaged teenager that learns how to stand up against bullying after quite a roller coaster getting caught trying to commit suicide. Yes, I even cried.

If you didn't catch the premiere tonight, I'm sure ABC Family will be airing it again soon, and it will be released on DVD. Don't miss it. I personally think it's a film that everyone who is a member of Twitter, Tumblr, Facebook, and every other social networking website should watch. Whether the bullied or bully, this is a subject matter that needs to be confronted. Right now, there are only 34 states in this country that have laws against bullying minors online, and a film like this can change that.

I can do nothing but give ABC Family a huge high five for this one. Cyberbully is one of the best TV movies that I have seen in a long time.



2 comments:

SClark05 said...

you are right that was the best movie on tv so far anyone that ha a facebook can watch that and learn a thing or two about what can happen on facebook or my space etc. and emily osment did an awesome job with her character you could feel what her character was feeling i practicly cried through the whole movie.

Stephanie Holland said...

I agree with Candace 100 percent. As someone who was a little different in high school and singled out because of it, this movie really resonated. This film should be required viewing in all middle and high school classrooms.