Wednesday, July 28, 2010

"Inception": Best Film of the Decade


I'll say it now, so you will know where I stand on this film right away: "Inception" is one of the best movies of the decade.

I have read a lot of mixed reviews about the film, many people saying that the story was too confusing to keep up with, or overall they just really didn't understand the point. This is how I respond to the people saying this: When have you ever known Christopher Nolan to write and direct a film that you can just sit there and stare at? Come on, people. Films like "The Prestige" and "Memento" that you can watch over and over again and still catch things that you didn't see the last time. When I do this with a film, I know it was written to perfection.

I can see how people can let themselves get confused, because of all the interesting ideas that Nolan proposes with the story. Such as the different levels of dreams states, the dangers of traveling deep into your subconscious and the dangers and advantages of technology. There is so much in this movie to talk about, that people who don't do well with "smart" films like this can get lost.

However, the basic storyline, it very easily to pull out. A team of extractors trained to invade someone's dreams and steal their secrets, is put together to plant an idea in a young businessman's head to break up his father's empire. Only, they are unaware that the dead wife of their leader (DiCaprio) is on the hunt, determined to bring him back down so deep into his subconscious that he will never wake up again. It's really not that hard to follow.

Anyway, onto my own review of the film. I don't think I have ever been dazzled by a film so much that it has left me speechless. Everything about this film is dazzling. With such an ensemble cast, that doesn't seem like so far a stretch. Leonardo DiCaprio is fabulous, of course, but that is no surprise. When you give him a great script and he's under the direction of a man like Christopher Nolan, he will always be Oscar-worthy. Overall, this may be one of the best ensemble casts that I have ever seen in a film with DiCaprio, Cillian Murphy, Ken Watanbe, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Ellen Page, Tom Berenger, Tom Hardy, Michael Caine and Marion Cotillard.

However, other than Dicaprio, the other performance that really stands out for me is Joseph Gordon-Levitt's. He is just perfect in this film, elegantly presenting a character, Arthur, that you can't help but take a liking to. The relationship between Cobb (DiCaprio) and Ariadne (Page) may be considered the heart of the film, however, the lighthearted side of this story is given completely to Arthur and Eames (Hardy), so much so, that Gordon-Levitt and Hardy steal every scene that they are in. I know that the Best Supporting Actor category is always very competitive every year, but if Joseph Gordon-Levitt does not get a nomination, I will be extremely disappointed with the Academy.

Moving on to then effects, which may be the coolest and most convincing effects I have ever seen. One of the most dazzling parts of this film is the anti-gravity-hallway-fight-scene in which Arthur has to battle Fischer's (Murphy) projections while the others of the team travel into the third layer of the dream. It is extremely easy for me to call this the coolest action sequence I have EVER seen done on film. It surprised me even more to learn that none of that sequence is computer generated. They actually built three different hallway sets for the sequence, and editing everything together. Now that is magic! This film should get an Oscar in Film Editing just for that single sequence. However, in all honesty, I do have to say the overall editing in this film is spectacular. Especially in the last half hour, when you are cutting back and forth between three different layers of the dream and it can easily get jumbled up and sloppy.

There is also something to be said about the score, composed by the always brilliant, Hans Zimmer. The music acts like a catalyst for the pacing of the film, and helps leave you on the edge of your seat.

I can talk about this movie for days, weeks even. It presents and proposes ideas that shoudl excite and frighten us. It tells the stories of this characters in one of the simplest and most genius ways imagined. As a writer, I always rely on my dreams for new ideas, new directions, and simple entertainment. For a writer to make that entire concept the basis of a great film is complete brilliance, and gives them the opportunity to let a film unfold like never before. It allows you to break some rules and create a whole new type of storytelling. Because of this, there is so much more to talk about than just the story. This is going to be the film to beat for many, many years to come. At least for me. In my eyes, it is hard to reach perfection, and "Inception" has succeeded in taking that very last step over 'The Dark Knight", where is left just a hair short of masterpiece!

Now I'm not saying that this film has to win 10 Oscars, though, it would be nice. As long as it gets recognition in the categories of Best Supporting Actor for Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Film Editing, Original Screenplay, Best Director, and Best Picture I will be happy. I would be elated if it won any of them!

1 comment:

A Blogger said...

Grestest movie ever. Im still trying to analzye it in my own mind. Great review by the way,