Friday, July 23, 2010

The Epicness that is Joss Whedon and J.J. Abrams

Entertainment Weekly always puts on spectacular panels every year. However, I think with these two legendary storytellers sitting side by side in a room full of Whedonists, Losties, and Trekkies, I think they have finally out did themselves.

EW's Visionaries panel with Joss Whedon and J.J. Abrams was extraordinary, and I'm sure, it will be my favorite panel of the weekend, leaps and bounds over the others. There is nothing better in the world than to hear the stories of successes and failures of two amazing filmmakers for a young and future filmmaker like myself. This panel truly was epic, beginning the moment that Joss Whedon officially announced that he will be directing "The Avengers".

Following that epic announcement, the two chatted about Abrams next project "Super 8" and the finale of "LOST". Whedon shared his thoughts on the beginning of internet television and hoping to continue the success of "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along-Blog" with a sequel as soon as he is free.

Also, a discussion that I knew would come up, was their thoughts on this "3D fad". Where, from the answers they gave, Joss is totally into it and JJ hasn't been bought into it quite yet. It did surprise me that Joss had plenty of good things to say about 3D, however, he did add a very vital few words to his statement: "...when it's done right..." Which are exactly my thoughts. 3D can be good, when it's done right. I am also happy, and maybe slightly giddy to find that JJ and I also share the same complaint about it as well. When you put on the glasses, it dims the light of the movie and gives it an overall dull tone. I know that it may be a very small complaint and not mean much to most moviegoers, but I like seeing movies as they are meant to be seen. And when 3D glasses ruin that experience, I am disappointed, and apparently, JJ Abrams is as well.

A conversation that I did not expect however was an in-depth discussion of the difference between serial TV series and long arch series, along with the pros and cons of both. In the long run, they did have extremely positive things to say about long arch shows like "LOST", in which, studios are now very reluctant to sign because they tend to believe the audience is not smart enough. However, if an audience can keep up with a series like "LOST", I'm pretty sure they can keep up with anything. Audiences today want to be impressed, not turned into zombies.

Then of course, the whole day was capped off by meeting JJ Abrams at a signing and getting to chat about "LOST" for a few minutes. I'm still giddy about that! If fact, I believe its the only time I ever remember meeting a idol of mine in the film industry and actually hop away because I was so happy! Ha!

I took plenty of video at the panel, so watch for it on the blog soon!!

No comments: