Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Good day for scifi

The Producers Guild Award nominations were announced today and nerds apparently rule!

Three out of the 10 nominees are science fictions films ("Star Trek," "District 9" and "Avatar") plus an animated film ("Up".)

And if I want to be a smart arse, a fantasy film "Inglorious Basterds."

This is big, big news. Not only does it validate science fiction as a true art form in way, but it also paves the way for a few, if not all of these films to grab a nomination come Oscar time.

Imagine everyone's shock on nomination morning if the words "Star Trek" and "Best Picture" are spoken together?

I'd die a happy man that morning.

The other films nominated are:

"An Education" - No interest in seeing.
"Invictus" - My father loved it, I can wait for DVD.
"The Hurt Locker" - Out on DVD next week and is waiting in my Netflix queue.
"Precious" - Want to see, but don't want to sit through. Seems like a hard one to watch.
"Up in the Air" - Saw it a few days ago, check out the next episode for my thoughts.

That also means I've seen five of those films nominated, which is a good percentage for me come awards time.

I can also say, that keeping in mind my absence of seeing "The Hurt Locker," that one of these films is my favorite movie of the year and two others could be in my top five list.

Also check out the next episode of "Inscaped" for more in depth coverage of this, as well as the first part of our Best/Worst of 2009 show. We are splitting the show into two weeks, first up is movies!

No comments: