Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Checkmate!

By now, everyone knows I'm a little geeky when it comes to entertainment. And one of my geekier habits is my love to box office and television rating numbers.

And yes, I am aware of the joke that all journalists hate math. I 100 percent agree with that statement.

Lately I've been off with box office numbers because I am more than annoyed with "Avatar" fever. Much like fair weather fans in sports, I am sick of "Avatar" fans. Side note: When I found out "The Hurt Locker" won Best Picture at the PGAs over "Avatar" I jumped up and clapped.

Anywho...

Another known fact is how much we here at Inscaped love, LOVE "Castle." And I have been borderline obsessing over the television ratings for the show.

The great news is that with every passing week the ratings are going up! Most shows go down (cough"Heroes"cough).

A great site for ratings is TVbythenumbers.com and I check it out every day. So I was super jazzed when I came across this article today:

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/01/26/tv-ratings-fox-wins-night-castle-sees-highs-chuck-steady/40154

Yes, "CSI: Miami" was a repeat and some of the viewers might have switched over. It's not like they're going to watch Leno. But, numbers are numbers. And ABC needs hits. "Desperate Housewives" is down, "Brothers and Sisters" is down. "V" and "Flash Forward" not doing so great.

ABC needs a show that they can flaunt to advertisers and say "Look at these ratings! They climb every week." Add to that the fact that ABC makes "Castle" gives it even more of a reason to keep around. Sometimes networks make shows and other networks air those same shows.

Oh, looky looky. Just as I was typing this I came across a happy press release from ABC: http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/01/26/at-10pm-abc%e2%80%99s-%e2%80%9ccastle%e2%80%9d-hits-series-highs-in-key-adult-and-men-demos/40219

Booyah.

No comments: