Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Mini-review: 'Marvel vs. Capcom 3'


Like with the Chris Jericho book, let me start by saying I love this franchise.

I've loved it since "X-Men vs. Street Fighter" way back in 1996!

Basically it takes two very popular franchises in themselves and has the characters fight each other. Players choose who they want to play and have at it.

Many people, myself included, will say that "Marvel vs. Capcom 2" is the best of the bunch. I even have the game on my Playstation 3 (it was only $10!).

Sad to say that "Marvel vs. Capcom 2" is still the best game of the franchise.

That's not to say "Marvel vs. Capcom 3" isn't good, but after waiting 10 years, nothing can make up for all the anticipation.

There is a loosely thrown together plot (I think), shown through cutscene videos. Heroes from each side fighting each other, like Deadpool and Dante and Chris Redfield and the Hulk. Eventually the bad guys are revealed, Dr. Doom/Wesker ("Resident Evil")/Magneto/Super Skrull etc.

I won't spoil the big bad, but he's BIG.

In all there are 36 playable characters on the disc (more to be downloadable). That is nowhere near the 56 on "Marvel vs. Capcom 2."

That is only the start of the problems.

Yes, they probably needed to cut back on characters to make up for the updated graphics, but I'm thinking people would rather have more characters than ultra-slick 3-D graphics.

I know I would.

But, another problem. Most of the characters here are from the previous games. Same exact moves and specials. I noticed that the addition of Jean Grey seems to be Psylocke from the previous games with slightly new stuff.

The new characters do rock though. Deadpool is fun and crazy, Amaterasu (the dog from "Okami") is a lot of fun to play.

Another issue is the controls. I am fully used to the mega popular controls and combos from "Street Fighter," but this game throws those out in favor of easier controls. Which kind of makes me feel like I'm cheating. Super powers are now just one button... crazy.

Without spoiling too much, the endings are also disappointing. They are basically around two drawings with some text.

Seriously.

A few of them are interesting as they merge the two universes. Arthur from "Ghouls and Ghosts" fights Fin Fang Foom, Zero gets some help from the Silver Surfer etc. You can YouTube these clips by the way. Just put the character's name and ending together.

If you can find it at a Redbox like I did, then rent it. But, do not drop $60 plus on it.

No comments: