Thursday, March 31, 2011

John Cena is having a great week

Editor's note: I would normally loath referring to a TMZ story, but it's a good one.

Man, less than a week before Wrestlemania and is John Cena having the best week ever or what?

TMZ reports that Cena is inviting 30 sick kids from the Make a Wish Foundation to Wrestlemania. Complete with tickets, meet and greets and a party hosted by himself afterwards.

Not only that, but this puts him over the 300 wishes granted milestone. Apparently only a handful of other celebrities can say they've done that: drivers Jeff Gordon and Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Hulk Hogan.

Say what you will about the Cena character on television, he is doing an amazing thing each and every time he makes a dream come true for a sick child. And he's more popular and busier than certain Food Network chefs.

Now that I've brought it up, let's talk about the Cena character for a moment. He gets a lot of heat from older fans. They hate him. I'm talking like Hulk Hogan joining the N.W.O. kind of hate.

I just don't get it. This man, both the real man and the character, have been carrying the WWE on his shoulders for years ever since the Rock and Steve Austin left. Triple H and the Undertaker might disagree with that statement, but it's true. Just look at the T-shirt sales.

Need proof? Just YouTube the reaction video of when Cena made his big return years ago at the Royal Rumble. The crowd at Madison Square Garden lost their minds when he came out. Nowadays those kinds of reactions are few and far between.

Need more proof? How about that career making (career defining?) promo he did with the Rock this past week?

I don't watch wrestling as often as I used to, but I still know a great promo when I see one. And this was top 10 material.

I don't see him turning into a bad guy because of this. This is more of a passing of the torch kind of moment.

Makes me wonder how the WWE will top this "feud" at Wrestlemania.

No comments: