Monday, March 14, 2011

Don't miss 'Battle: Los Angeles' in theaters!

In light of the devastation that is going on in Japan, I almost feel bad for how excited I am to talk about this film.

"Battle: Los Angeles" was one of the surprising stick-out panels for me at Comic Con 2010. The clips that they showed was were intriguing and intense. And of course, in my opinion, you can never go wrong with Aaron Eckhart and Michelle Rodriguez.

The whole experience for this film started off exciting for me considering the premiere of the new trailers for "Super 8" and "Conan the Barbarian". The money for my ticket was already worth it being surprised with these trailers, and already anticipating a panel for "Conan" at Comic Con 2011. I already know that is one panel that I refuse to miss.

But honestly, I did not at all expect this movie to be as good as it is. I hate to even go there, but I actually enjoyed it more than "District 9". Now, because of the type of film that it is, it will never get the recognition that it should receive, but it will definitely win over audiences.

Staff Sargeant Nantz (Eckhart) is ready to retire the Marines after a few tours in Iraq and plenty of rumors that he's got a lot of Marines killed. When a strange meteor shower becomes a alien invasion and major cities all over the world are being attacked, he joins a new platoon with a young 2nd Lieutenant right out of Officer Training. They are sent on a mission into the heart of infested territory of Santa Monica to get out a stranded group of civilians before the Air Force bombs the area.

For me, this movie wasn't about the alien invasion. It was about the Marines. Great characters. Great actors. Great comic relief. Great action. Everything that a well written adventure needs.

There is even a moment that seriously made tears start falling down my face, and no, it wasn't because someone died. Nantz gets in the face of one of the young Marines about the death of his brother. An extremely emotional scene that truly captures what it means to be an American soldier. It got to me a bit, but then again, I was raised in a military family.

I supremely enjoyed this movie, and highly recommend it to everyone. I don't want to give away the end because everyone needs to go see it. I thought the end was perfect. So many of these alien films end in such an unbelievable fashion, but not this one. Because the story is not about the alien invasion, that is not where the film concludes. It's about the characters, and it holds a great conclusion for Nantz and his Marines.

Best movie of the year so far and I have no doubt that it will be on my Top 10 list of 2011 by the end.

No comments: