Wednesday, December 22, 2010

'Supernatural': Welcome to Winter Helltus

Welcome to Hell my fellow Dean and Sam girls.

And what a nail biting hell it will be until the 28th of next month. I'm positive I'm not the only one falling out of my chair in frustration at the prospect of having to live with Sam's horrible and painful screams for the next month.

There is one thing, as fans of this series, that we all know well: Kripke certainly knows how to make us sweat with this horridly anxious cliffhangers.

Considering how worried most of the fans were that a sixth season may hurt the fandom instead of continue to progress it because of how good the end of "Swan Song" wrapped up the story, I think we are far beyond those concerns now. The story of this season took a few episodes to wind up, but by the end of "The Third Man", I at least had a good idea about what this season would be about.

I think it's safe to say that last season was mostly all Dean. His choices and decisions were the center of the storyline. This year, we are back to Sammy. Well, actually, not Sammy. Not yet. Sam's shell. This series has put such an importance on the idea of our human souls, that the idea that the "real" Sam is still stuck in the cage with Michael and Lucifer, and his shell is the one walking around on top is terrifying.

In a great climax to finish off the first half of the season, we see the return of fan favorites Death and the reaper Tessa. Not to mention that fantastic little cameo of horror icon, Robert Englund. As soulless Sam makes his last desperate attempts to not get his soul back, Dean takes a 24 hour shift as Death, slipping on the ring and touching those whose time has come. No surprise, that's not too easy for him, especially being faced with the death of children. But once again, it's a hard lesson that Dean has to learn.

I find it VERY interesting that the only Horseman that tends to like humanity is Death. He doesn't look at his job like a game, as the others do. It seems like he even likes Dean a little bit. Death does him the favor, even after failing the challenge, and gives Sam his soul back. But not without a price. Part of Sam's soul is severely damaged from being fondled by Michael and Lucifer for over a year. He can't fix it, but can build a wall around it so Sam can't penetrate it, at least for a while. Of course, which is exactly what will happen because this series wouldn't be as intense, intimate or emotional if they didn't go there.

Then we are left with that white knuckled cliffhanger of Sam's horrible screams. THAT is how you do a cliffhanger. I think a few shows and learn a thing or two with those ridiculous cliffhangers that Gamble and Kripke come up with.

Now...theory time.

There is really only a few things that I think will become huge in the story later. The boys still have all the Horseman rings, except for Death's now of course. I have never thought of what would happen if they slipped them on. But now, we know. So, my question is, will there be a reason that they have to use the other three rings? I can't imagine Pestilence or Hunger being very useful, but what about War? It's an interesting bit of storyline that I would like to see.

The other thing I'm wondering about is of course, about Sam. So Death built this wall around the damaged part of this soul, and we all know that it will of course break open at one point. And it according to one of the new promos, it seems that Sam doesn't remember anything. So here's my question. Soulless Sam was terrified of getting his soul back, which is interesting considering without a soul, you are not supposed to have any REAL feelings. So why was he so terrified?

I'm wondering if he actually did have a part of a soul in him, but not Sam's. Sam and Lucifer shared a body for a short amount of time. Let's think about this. He is Lucifer's chosen vessel. THE vessel. It's destiny. So, is it really that easy to completely extract Lucifer from his body? The shell may have had no feelings, but he was still terrified of getting his real soul back. And if you ask me, he was making some very Lucifer-ish decisions.

So, it's not the damaged part of Sam's soul that I'm worried about. It's that little bit of Lucifer's that I think has been left behind. Being occupied by Lucifer had to have left some mark on the body, and I think we are going to find out.

I'm sure your question is what the hell are we supposed to do until January 28th?

Personally, I find Tumblr quite amusing. And if you are an as obsessed Supernatural fan as the rest of us, some of these blogs of my fellow SPN Tumblies may be amusing enough:

http://samjaredlove23.tumblr.com/ aka @DudeUFuglySPN on Twitter
http://spnsite01.tumblr.com/ aka @spn_site01 on Twitter
http://sammwinchester.tumblr.com/ aka @SammWinchester on Twitter

and my fantastic SPN and TVD blog: http://jaxthevampire.tumblr.com/

Visit and join the forum of this fantastic fansite of my friends @WinchesterDaily on Twitter:


What else? Well, I think one of my good SPN Twitter pals said it best. Check out her blog on LiveJournal for PLENTY of amusing and time consuming ideas.


Personally, I'm a Tumblr picspammer, and a regular fanfiction reader. So, that's what I'll be doing. But I do love her activity ideas at the end of Part 2.

Well, I guess that's it for my Sam Girl self until January 28th.

Until then fellow fangirls.

No comments: