Monday, December 27, 2010

A Fangirl's Top 10 Men of 2010

Let me start by saying that this was a REALLY tough list to make. I almost decided to split it up into two different lists with men from TV and men from movies, but I decided to bit the bullet make just one list. Instead, I found a way to cheat.

So here they are, my favorite men of 2010.

10. Alex O'Loughlin, Scott Caan & Daniel Dae Kim

The men of the new series, "Hawaii Five-0". I was looking forward to watching this show, but almost too worried that it would be a little corny. The only thing that did give me hope was the nerdy cast. But after O'Loughlin and Caan's first scene together in the pilot, all of my worry washed away. The three of these men have some of the best chemistry on television right now. If you haven't watched it yet, make sure you do after it gets back from hiatus.

9. My Chemical Romance

I am not the only ultra fan that has been waiting for their new album for over a year, but it definitely well worth the wait. After all, MCR has never been just another rock band. They don't just write music that sounds good on the radio. It's personal, and intimate. The new album "Danger Days" is not only their best, but brightest. They are well known for the darker side of the human condition. But the stories of the Killjoys is bright, hopeful, and all about fighting conformity, which is very appropriate for them.

8. Joshua Jackson

Yeah, that's me in the picture with him, just in case you were wondering. I had the luck and opportunity to meet Josh Jackson at Comic Con last summer, right after the "Fringe" signing at the WB booth. Now, I was never a crazed fan of "Dawson's Creek", but I watched it. However, I can't even tell you how happy I was when Josh was cast as Peter Bishop in "Fringe". I always knew he was a good actor, and this series has allowed him to truly prove that. Also, he is an absolutely wonderful man to meet in person.

7. A-Team

One of the most stand out films of the year, and maybe the best remake I have ever seen. I don't think they could have cast this film more perfectly with Liam Neeson, Bradley Cooper, Sharlto Copley and Quinton Jackson. I hope there is a whole trilogy of these films. Can they please be the next James Bond franchise?

6. Ian Somerhalder

One of the shining beacons of the CW Network. But not just that, he is probably the one person in the world that has impressed me beyond recognition during this last year. Not because of his always fantastic performance of Damon Salvatore in "The Vampire Diaries", but because of what he does with his time off camera. He is Mother Earth's next champion. In fact, he should team up with Leonardo DiCaprio. He has endlessly campaigned for countless foundations striving to save the wildlife in the Gulf, participated in multiple fundraisers and a major environmental conference in Washington D.C., and officially began the IS Foundation. Not only is he a great human being, a fantastic actor, he is a extremely fun person to meet and chat with. Adores his fans, which makes me adore him even more.

5. Charlie Hunnam

I had never watched the FX series "Sons of Anarchy" until this year. It is definitely the most I have ever underestimated a show in my life and highly regret doing so. One of the main reasons for that is because of the supreme and fantastic dramatic abilities of Charlie Hunnam and his portrayal of Jax Teller. Just like the series itself, his performance is gritty, dark, and real. And anyone how doubts his abilities, should watch the scene where he is following the couple who has his son, and lets them go. No words are needed. His face tells it all.

4. Timothy Olyphant

Yet another man that has FINALLY gotten the recognition that he deserves this year. I was beyond stoked when he got cast as the lead for FX's new series "Justified". They couldn't have picked anyone better. He was born for this role. He was even born for the hat. I always knew this lovely man was a fine actor, and now he had the opportunity to really show that. However, I am amazingly miffed that he didn't get nominated for a Golden Globe. If you didn't watch "Justified" when it premiered on FX this year, make sure you don't miss Season 2, which begins in February 2011. Don't you just love that accent?

3. Jeremy Renner

Yet another underdog actor that once again, has finally got his due. The star of last year's Oscar winning "The Hurt Locker", this has been another great year for Jeremy Renner. First, it was announced that officially at Comic Con that he would be playing Hawkeye in Joss Whedon's "The Avengers", then he starred opposite Ben Affleck in "The Town", which much to my happiness, he has gotten nominated for as Best Supporting Actor. (which I said he should get nominated when I posted my review of "The Town" a few months ago) It has taken a few years to hit the big stage, but once you slide into the nerd world, it's hard to get out. His role as Hawkeye will definitely keep him busy for at least five years, and I hope for much longer.

2. Men of LOST

How can you single out just one of them? How? It's impossible. So, every single man of the series "LOST" is #2 on my list. After watching the entire series in only two months this summer, I feel like I have been watching it for six years. Not only one of the greatest series of all time, but one of the greatest ensemble casts ever put together. It has never been so impossible for me to chose between characters or actors before. Josh Holloway or Matthew Fox? Jorge Garcia or Terry O'Quinn? Mark Pellegrino or Titus Welliver? Every performance was stand out, masterful, and some of the most memorable moments I have ever watched on television.

1. Jared Padalecki & Jensen Ackles

Of course, the absolute fangirl in me wins out, but for good reason. There is a reason that "Supernatural" is one of the most cult followed shows on television right now. Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki. This is the one series on television that I really wish got more attention. Maybe if it was on a different network, like FX or even HBO, it would. But the life of this show keeps rolling simply because of these two fantastic actors and what they are able to accomplish on screen. You can say whatever you like about this series. But try watching "Lucifer Rising", "Dark Side of the Moon", "No Rest For the Wicked" or "Swan Song" before you pass any criticism its way. My favorite drama and fantasy show on television, and I can't see that changing any time soon. I have a feeling this is going to be one of the those shows that will get more popular only after it ends. But either way, Jared and Jensen deserve every once of attention that they get, and I only wish it was more acclaimed attention. But then again, we nerdy fangirls are pretty protective over our boys. So maybe it is better this way.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hark hark! Supernatural rules and Jensen is the best actor in TV these days. And yes if this fantastic series were in another network it would have a lot of Emmys under the belt, among them, best actor in a dramma series- WTH

Candace Wilson said...

YEP YEP Marlene....at least someone else sees it my way. LMAO