Thursday, October 7, 2010

Supernatural: "Two and a Half Men"

Since I don't have too much to say about the episode when it comes to discussion, I am going to stick to a basic typed recap.

I thought this episode was hilarious! It's nice seeing Sam and Dean together again. But not just together. How they treated each other in this episode, except for the end, reminded me of their brotherhood in Season 1. It was lighthearted, before all the madness happened. The prospect of Sam and Dean taking care of a child is a foreign concept to any "Supernatural" fan. The scene in the grocery store is priceless!

Something about this series that impressed me right off the bat when I started watching it two weeks ago (Ha!), is the writer's and actor's abilities to in the blink of an eye, move from such an amusing and fun scene, and instantly make it dangerous and intense. Though a subtle aspect of the series, it is one of the things that kept me watching, and watching during that 24 hour marathon on TNT. The writers know and understand when they can be lighthearted, and know when they have to quicken the pace. In other words, they know how to give their audience constant heart attacks.

Am I the only one that beamed with pride at Dean being able to put a baby to sleep? I mean, really, those of us that have had children of our own, or forced to babysit our nieces and nephews, know how tough this can be. Needless to say, Dean earned about a hundred cool points being able to put a baby together so fast. And I don't know what was more hilarious: Dean's shocked expression, or Sam's.

There is another glimpse into the Campbells in this episode, and even more so than last week, I don't trust them. It's hard for me not to like Christian Campbell because he is played by Corin Nemec, but there is just something about his easy going manner and sly attitude that is hard to trust. Dean being Dean, I know he is thinking the same exact thing. The question is, why are the Campbells acting the way they are towards demons? Meaning, why are they capturing them and not killing them? Why would they be so quick to allow a shapeshifter child be raised into a hunter? And most of all, who was Samuel talking to on the phone? After five seasons, I know we must all have the same gut feeling: that whoever he is talking to will be someone we know, and possibly someone we trust.

In "Exile on Main Street" I kept, over and over again, catching little things about Sam here and there that still made me believe he is possessed by Lucifer. However, this week was different. Not until Dean's last scene with Sam after the Alpha shifter stole the baby back, did I get that hole in the gut, feeling like something was wrong. Why would Sam want to use a child as bait? Sam has always had more of an affinity towards children than Dean ever did. He is the last person I would believe to use an infant as bait. There is just a feeling in my gut, that something is still going on with Sam, whether it has to do with Lucifer or not, that is wrong.

Now, let's be honest here. I dare you to not raise your hand and admit that you were squealing inside the moment you heard the rumble of that engine, and blaring classic rock! Just the way the scene was shot, with Dean uncovering his prized '67 Impala, with the spanning close ups of the black metallic. As if we, along with Dean, were being reacquainted with who we are. The life we're meant for. All topped off with that perfect lopsided smirk from Dean right before fade out. Perfection. Dean and the Impala are back!

Considering the reaction on Twitter, I think everyone was more excited about the promo for this week's episode, "The Third Man", than they were about the entire episode they just watched. I am one of them. The phrase I have been reading all over Twitter this last week is only one thing: Cas is back! It appears that I am not the only one that thinks two episodes without the presence of his dry humor, and innocently blunt personality is just too much. Although, the return of Castiel from Heaven is not the only thing I am excited about.

Apparently, the weapons of Heaven have been stolen, and Castiel returns to recruit the help of the Winchesters to get them back. Is anyone else been repeating that phrase in their heads all week? The weapons of Heaven. This is going to be huge. This just might be one of the main stories of this season. Sam, Dean and Castiel fighting to retrieve the stolen weapons of Heaven that have the potential to kill thousands of innocents. From that simple possibility alone, does anyone else think this season is going to even more epic than the last?

I guess we are about to find out.

No comments: