Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Fall TV: 'Teach: Tony Danza'

I have seen the face of bad television and lived to tell about it.

Kind of.

My soul has been shaken and I've lost a good number of brain cells.

"Teach: Tony Danza" premiered Friday on A&E and, my God, it was painful.

The basis of the reality show is simple: Actor Tony Danza gives up his current, cheery lifestyle to teach English to sophomores in Philadelphia.

Right there it sounds very interesting. You've got a charismatic entertainer who's doing something great for the community and children.

But, much like the big screen version of "Watchmen," something bad happened.

Now, I'm not saying that this "reality" show is fake, but to me it looks like it is trying really hard to be.

Of course Danza is a horrible teacher to start and no one wants to give him a real chance. Some children think he's a joke and no one really thinks he can accomplish this.

Which nicely sets up an underdog scenario which I'm guessing at the end of the year he'll have turned all these people around and they'll all cry when he leaves.

There are also painful stereotypes from every high school; the horrible assistant principal with no sense of humor, football jocks, goof off kids and the one student who is highly annoying about Danza not giving him a proper education.

He also helps coach the football team, which gets slaughtered in its first game.

Hmm, maybe through Danza's good attitude and words of advice the team will start winning and capture the championship!

To be honest I made it about halfway through before I turned the television off.

It was that bad.

But, my journalistic integrity won and I finished it hours later.

Maybe that's the only way people can get through it.

Looks like no one will for much longer.

No comments: