Friday, September 10, 2010

'The Vampire Diaries': 'The Return' first reactions

In all honestly, I can not get my head together enough to give a good review that makes sense, but I can give you my first reactions.

First, I just want to say, I don't understand how the Academy is willing to let a good quality series with as good writing and acting as series like "LOST", to pass beneath them simply because it's technically a teen show. I just don't understand it.

Okay, back to the episode...

All last night, all I could really say is "WOW." Even with all our predictions and chatting, Julie Plec and Kevin Williamson found a way to blow us all out of the water.

So much is going to change. This season is going to full of so much guilt, especially on Damon and Bonnie's parts, which actually has me quite excited because as everyone knows, I love these two together, and anything that will cause them to bond is fine by me.

The only conceivable thought I had last night when I could finally think, was "My poor Damon." My heart is still wrenching for him, and I seriously want Katherine to die. I love her to death because she is a fantastic character, but she can't die soon enough. All the progress that Damon made with his humanity last season, is all wasted thanks to Katherine and her damn honesty. And when Damon crawls to Elena for comfort and gets shot down again, I knew that he would lash out at the first person he saw, which just happened to be Jeremy. This is was Damon does, what he has always done to protect himself from his own emotions, is take out his anger on someone else, and bury himself is sarcasm.

I am beyond happy that Bonnie got owned by Katherine, because this will only force her to trust Damon and Stefan, because only together can they have any chance against Katherine.

Finally, Nina Dobrev. Fantastic. For how young she is, she plays two different characters much better than many seasoned actors I have seen. We have seen her play Katherine before, but never like this. Her posture, the way she walks, talks, smiles, dresses, laughs, is different for both Elena and Katherine. You always know who you are dealing with, even when Katherine is trying to pass off as Elena.

All I can say is, dear Emmys, where is the love?

OK, after I watch the episode a few more times, and have a couple discussions with close friends, then I can write a real review.

Stay tuned.

No comments: