Friday, September 17, 2010

'The Town:' Affleck gives a new definition to authenticity


"Inception" has a contender for best film of the year.

Honestly, I have been sitting here, staring at this screen for a while now, wondering where to start talking about this film. I am still so overwhelmed by how fabulous it is, that I can't decide about what to rave about first.

A story about the families and the family business of Charlestown, a part of the big metro area of Boston, this drama takes on the story of two men who grew up together, and continue to grow apart. Doug MacRay (Ben Affleck) decides he wants to leave Charlestown forever. But it's not that easy, leaving the only life he's ever known behind him. The architect and brains behind the heists of his four-man crew, Doug struggles to find a way out. James "Jem" Coughlin (Jeremy Renner) refuses to let him go. These Charlestown brothers were raised under the same rules, but both have different plans in their sights.

When Doug falls for the bank manager, Claire (Rebecca Hall) that they took hostage, it gives him a way out. Jem, on the other hand, gives him every reason he should stay. Though at odds with each other, there is one thing they always agree upon: protect what's yours. Bank robbery may be a way of life for the men of Charlestown, but its family that you are willing to die for.

This movie was so entertaining, and so artfully pieced together, that I can't find it in myself to spoil the end for you. You, my dear readers, will have to experience the life of Charlestown for yourselves. I just might tag along with you a second time.

There is not enough I can say to praise Ben Affleck. Stephanie, Tim and I had a fleeting conversation in the past week, wondering if Affleck has the chops and vision to become another Clint Eastwood. A fabulous actor, but even more fabulous director. Considering his performance in front of and behind the camera in "The Town", I will have to say that it is a definite possibility. We already know that Ben Affleck can write, having won an Oscar with pal Matt Damon for the screenplay of "Good Will Hunting". However, in this film, Affleck gives a new definition on what is true authenticity.

We all know that Ben Affleck is a Boston native. It's hard to miss, considering that he finds some way to throw it into every project he participates in. But I'm sure having the opportunity to tell a story about the families and people in one area of his beloved hometown, humbled him to a degree, that he refused to present a story with anything but perfection. With every subtlety of his direction when it comes to character, story, and editing, Affleck makes it clear that he cares about this film and the people he is telling a story about. He wasn't going to settle for anything but true authenticity, which I have always appreciated as a viewer. Having spent a year living in New England, I can see and truly acknowledge the truth that this film tells. Affleck even took the true stories of actual bank robberies that happened in the city in the last decade, and wrote them into the film, including the big shootout robbery that takes place at Fenway Park at the end.

If there was one worry I had about this film, it was that I hoped the love story would not be too overpowering. However, Affleck finds a great medium and does not cross the line with the romance. Instead of love story tanking this film's great quality, it enhances it. Giving the life of Charlestown its rough and jagged edges, but with a whole lot of heart. Like I said, these men lead a sometimes not so noble life, but they truly do understand what it means to love and stand by your family.

Many critics have been comparing this film to "Heat" and "The Departed". I can't disagree with them. It definitely follows in the legacy of great heist and investigation films. Fantastic storytelling, acting and directing. There is however, one difference that I have to note. A huge part of me wants to say that I loved this film even more than "The Departed" because of one simple thing. When you are watching "The Departed", you know you are watching a film. But when you are watching "The Town", it is a completely different experience. You feel like you are witnessing a piece of someone's life. That is how true and authentic this film is. And considering how much truth Hollywood has lost in their storytelling over the years, it is a very big accomplishment.

I have no doubt that this film will get a handful of big Oscar nominations. It deserves nothing less. If I had a say in the nominations at all, I would hand out the following: Ben Affleck for Best Actor, Jeremy Renner for Best Supporting Actor, Ben Affleck for Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay, and of course, Best Picture. Maybe even a nomination for Rebecca Hall for Best Supporting Actress. That is how fantastic this film is. There is no doubt in my mind that Ben Affleck should be considered among directors like Clint Eastwood, Ridley Scott, Martin Scorsese and Steven Spielberg. He has the eye, the subtly and the talent of being a true visionary.

I know I raved endlessly about "Inception" this summer. But "The Town" has claimed the spot of the best film of the year.

(Oh, and a quick little side note: the first time I saw "LOST" alum Titus Welliver on screen, I couldn't help but think that the Man in Black must have moved to Boston after dying on the Island...)

No comments: