Friday, June 4, 2010

My thoughts on LOST so far...

Now, I always said when LOST is over, I would sit down and watch it all together so I wouldn't have to deal with the hiatuses, writer's strikes or anything else. So, the time has come. The day after the series finale, I began with the Pilot and only moments ago, I finished Through the Looking Glass Part 2, which is of course the Season 3 finale. I can go on to say how brilliant this show is, but I would be wasting my breath because everyone already knows that. However, I will say this. The reason this show is brilliant a million times over, is because it not about the story, but how the story is told.

So instead of reviewing the first three seasons, I'm just going to give you a list of my favorite moments so far, and leave my review until after I finish the whole series.

Season 1

1. Boone's death. "Do No Harm" is my favorite episode so far, and it's not just because Ian Somerhalder plays Boone, well, it is if you consider how great of an actor he is. I was crying almost the entire episode, but not just for Boone, for Jack as well. Jack is so desperate to save him, the moment Boone says to let him go, I was hopelessly breaking down. Really. A moment of fantastic acting, writing and directing all at the same time. One of my favorite moments period.

2. Sawyer tells Jack about meeting his father in "Exodus Part 1". Tim warned me about this moment, and he was right. One of the best moments of the series so far. I was so proud of Sawyer for telling the honest truth, and my heart was breaking for Jack all at the same time. LOST acting at its best.

3. "If we don't live together, we're gonna die alone." Will always be classic.

Season 2

1. Jack and Desmond flashback. It doesn't seem like much, but I love this scene when we meet Desmond for the first time, unaware that he would become so important. And we hear one of the most famous LOST lines for the first time. "See ya in another life, Brother."

2. Hurley talks to dead Libby. Hurley has always been used as the comic relief, but this was fabulous. Until this moment, I wasn't sure they were ever going to give another layer to Hurley, but I was so glad they did.

3. I forget which episode it's in, but when awesome Mr. Eko gives Locke the cut section of the orientation film and we hear another famous LOST line. "Do not mistake coincidence for fate."

4. Sawyer calls Jack a friend. It was a very small moment, but did bounds for their relationship with all that would happen in Season 3. Preparing to track Ben down after Michael helped him escape, Sawyer confesses to Jack about sleeping with Ana Lucia. "You're the closest thing I have to a friend."

Season 3 ( I call it the WTF season)

1. Locke's vision of Boone in "Further Instruction". First I have to say bravo to Locke for having the creepiest dreams and visions that always seem to be about Boone. I think Ian Somerhalder accomplished a new level of creepy in this episode.

2. Sawyer and Kate. Now, I do not like these two together, but, what leads up to the love scene in the cage was a great piece of writing and acting. They may not belong together, and even way back when I think they knew it, but this is still an important moment for their relationship.

3. Danny has Sawyer on his knees, and Jack threatens Ben's life in the middle of surgery. This episode is one of the most intense 43 minutes of television I think I have ever watched, especially this one scene. Jack demands Kate and Sawyer's release or he will let Ben bleed out while Danny already has a gun to Sawyer's head. I could not sit still during this scene.

4. Charlie's goodbye to Claire and his goodbye to Desmond on the boat. "Greatest Hits" is probably one of the best episodes of the season, if not the whole series, and I was crying in both of these scenes. It was a bittersweet moment to see Charlie accept his death. I am looking forward to the scene in the next season when Desmond gives Claire the list that Charlie made.

5. The biggest moment of the season, the very last scene when we realize that these are not flashbacks, but flashes in the future and Jack's exclamation to Kate, "We have to go back!" This was HUGE!! Just remember your reaction to it, and that was probably mine as well.

Funniest Episode: "Tricia Tanaka is Dead" This episode was HILARIOUS with some great Hurley and Sawyer moments which are always classic!

I can actually add plenty more to this list, but these are the ones that touched me most. Bring on Seasons 4, 5, and 6!! WOOT!!

No comments: