Wednesday, June 16, 2010

E3: Day 2-The Kinect isn't for clumsy people

One of the big stories from this year's E3 is Microsoft's new Kinect for the XBOX. After a demo at the Microsoft press conference, I wasn't impressed. Well today I got to play it myself and guess what, I'm still not impressed.

I played a dance game that made me feel woefully uncoordinated and a downhill racing game that defied the laws of gravity.

One of the main problems I found is that if you're a little clumsy or balanced challenged like me, then the Kinect will be extremely difficult to master.

During the dance game I transformed from someone who loves dancing and does it all the time into my mother who has two left feet and no semblance of rhythm.

I also tried out "Dance Central" on the Kinect, with the same results. I know what you're thinking. I'm clearly the problem, not the system. However, I'm awesome at "Dance Dance Revolution," so it's obviously not me.

Anyway, back to the Kinect. Next I tried out a racing game that required a lot of leaning and jumping. And I mean a lot of leaning. The system did not measure small movements, so I had to really lean into the game to register a change.

While I did feel like I'd had a good workout, the experience wasn't fun and isn't that supposed to be the whole point of video games.

So, while it may be the future of gaming, the Kinect is not for the uncoordinated or clumsy.

No comments: