Thursday, April 15, 2010

The home entertainment war is about over

Last week I actually walked into a Blockbuster video.

Yeah, shocking.

I was there to look at Playstation 3 games (super expensive) to rent when I overheard an interesting conversation.

The employee behind the register was telling a customer how bad business was and how Blockbuster is basically going out of business.

What do I care, I have Netflix.

Well, desperate times call for desperate measures.

Blockbuster had already made a deal with Warner Bros. for a 28 day exclusive right to any new release. That means that Netflix won't get "The Blind Side" until its been on Blockbuster rental shelves for a month.

Now it's being reported that Blockbuster made a deal with Fox and Sony that mirrors the Warner Bros. deal.

The whole thing confuses the heck out of me.

OK, I am going to try to explain my frustration with a sports reference.

Say Netflix are the Lakers and Blockbuster are the New Jersey Nets (Currently the worst team in the NBA). Why would anyone make any sort of exclusive deal with the Nets that alienates Lakers' fans?

I have emptied my Netflix queue. Why should I bother when I can't get new releases for a month?

No comments: