Tuesday, November 8, 2011

My DC New 52 drop list pt. 1


As Stephanie and I continue to cover DC Comics New 52 initiative, there are bound to be comics that either of us end up not liking.

And since we're not made of money, there are books that we're bound to drop; or just stop reading.
So far I've read 32 of the 52. I think I'm really at the point where I might be done with trying new ones out. I think I may try "Superboy," perhaps "Mister Terrific," but that's it.

Out of those 32, I've decided to drop seven books: "Justice League Dark," "Red Hood," "Teen Titans," "Suicide Squad," "Hawkman," "Firestorm" and "Stormwatch."

In this post I'm going to talk about the four books I like to call "one and done." These are comics that I gave one issue to catch my interest and did not.

"Stormwatch" probably has the easiest excuse: it was not reader friendly at all. To be fair, I've never read a "Stormwatch" comic previous to this. What interested me what the addition of Martian Manhunter and writer Paul Cornell.

Cornell's "Action Comics" run with Lex Luthor as the lead character was amazing stuff. It was like the crack of comics to me, I would have paid a lot more for each issue than I did.
The problem was that outside of Martian Manhunter I had no clue who these characters were and it read like I should. The dialogue was good, but I was just confused. And when I'm paying $2.99 a month, I don't want to be confused.
I also read "Fury of Firestorm" because of writers Gail Simone and Ethan Van Sciver. Also, to be fair, I've never really been a huge fan of Firestorm. But, with these guys behind the book I thought I'd give it a try.
Now I've read that "Blackest Night" did happen in the New 52 universe, so I thought "OK, cool." What I didn't think of was that overall "Blackest Night" happened, but that doesn't mean every single thing during "Blackest Night" happened.
Like everything to do with the character of Firestorm.
This book is not only a total reboot of the character, but just not my cup of tea. I get that the two characters don't like each other, but then the race card gets thrown in and I'm just out. Like with "Stormwatch," I liked most of the dialogue just fine.

No comments: