Tuesday, November 29, 2011

A DC New 52 title almost snuck through


Sunday night. I was bored out of my mind.

I went onto 4 Color Fantasies Internet storefront just to browse around. I had already purchased the "Fringe" comics written by Joshua Jackson (review to come!) but I was looking for a cheap, one-and-done comic to kill the boredom.

I had heard many good things about "I, Vampire" so I thought I'd give it a shot. Hey, it was only $1.99.

Holy crap! The book is pretty good.

I am a total newbie to the characters of this book, which apparently go back to 1981.

The plot has vampire Andrew trying to talk down another vampire, Mary, from doing something really horrible. You see, he sired her and it all went downhill from there. While he can keep his sanity and vampire condition in check, she cannot and wants total power.

Her plan is to basically take over the world and kill everyone. But, since this is in the DC Universe there is a hitch.

One of the best lines is Andrew telling Mary "And you think you and your army stands a chance against Superman and a half-dozen Green Lanterns and Wonder Woman and--"

She cuts him off with "Shhh. I'm hunting wabbits."

That one single panel shows off what's right about the book. There are huge stakes. Tons of vampires against the DC heroes, wow. And the book has some humor to it, helps counteract all the blood and killing. Writer Joshua Hale Fialkov does an amazing job to balance the two and push the book to the max.

Especially with the ending. I didn't see it coming. It's like an epic "Lost" style cliffhanger that makes you wonder where the book is going next.

I'm not a huge fan of the art by Andrea Sorrentino. Not to say I hate it, but it's a very unique style that really fits the gothic tone of the book, just not my thing.

And this book and the time when I purchased it shows off another great feature of the New 52 system, especially with online books. I kind of fell in love with this one, now I can immediatly buy the next issues without having to wait for a comic store to open and drive down there.

The future looks bright for the book, especially with Batman showing up in the fifth issue.

No comments: