Monday, August 1, 2011

Remembering the coolness of MTV

There was time about 25 years ago when MTV was the coolest channel in the world. First of all, not everyone had cable, so if you did like my family, you were considered very cool. This was extremely helpful to me and my brother, because we had an endless supply of people wanting to be our friends.

The shows were awesome, like "Remote Control," "Just Say Julie," "Club MTV" and "This Week in Rock." The personalities were the height of cool including, Downtown Julie Brown, Kurt Loder, comedienne Julie Brown, Nina Blackwood, John Norris, Dr. Dre, Ed Lover, Fab 5 Freddy and yes, Carson Daly.

My first memories of MTV are the daily top 10 they used to show every morning. For like a month straight Beastie Boys "Fight For Your Right to Party" was number one. I still love hearing that song.

Then they started playing Michael Jackson regularly and I was hooked. I, like many young girls of the time, was desperately in love with Michael, so seeing his videos non-stop was a dream come true.

Just when things couldn't get any better, Madonna appeared on the scene and I discovered a life long role model. No one was cooler than Madonna.

These icons coupled with constant streams Pat Benatar, Duran Duran, Prince, Bon Jovi, Billy Idol and The Police made a dorky tomgirl feel like one of the cool kids.

I pretty much watched 24/7, driving my father crazy, entered every contest and dreamed of becoming an MTV VJ.

The annual Video Music Awards became event viewing for me. I had VMA parties and religiously recorded all the best performances.

Though my interest slowed down as I got older, I still enjoyed early seasons of "The Real World," "TRL" and the network's increased public service.

However, when MTV started showing fewer music videos and more reality shows I stopped watching. Occasionally something surprising will pop up and I'll see remnants of the channel I once loved. But for the most part, those days are over and it makes me sad to know my niece and nephew will never experience MTV in its glory days.

I want my MTV!

No comments: