Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Jane Lynch brings the funny to the Emmys

As one of the stars of "Glee" Jane Lynch is known as the tough as nails Sue Sylvester. However, when she hosts the 63rd Primetime Emmys on Sept. 18, she will be much nicer than her famous character.



"I’ll say Jane Lynch will be nicer than Sue Sylvester," she said in a conference call. "Sue Sylvester would make the show explosive and you would walk away with a show you would never forget if it were Sue Sylvester, but it might be kind of war like and angry and violent. I think a show with Jane Lynch would be a lot nicer and easier to digest."


Since the actress is often asked to do such over the top comedy for her roles, she wasn't that worried about hosting the show.


"What I’m concerned about is I do well and don’t make a fool of myself. I trust my writers and everybody working on the show knows what they’re doing," she said. "I’ve worked with this crew on the Emmys last year, the Do Something Awards. Every time I’ve done an awards show, it’s the exact same crew. They know what they’re doing so I really feel like I’m good hands."


"I want it to be interesting and funny and also serve the purpose of the show, which is to honor television and people in it, and make sure we keep the eye on that. But the little bites that we get to do something fun and funny, I feel responsible that those need to be entertaining," she said.


Lynch has also enjoyed working with reality TV producer extraordinare Mark Burnett, who is producing this year's telecast.


"He has just been the best producer. There are things that creatively we wanted to do, and he said, 'Just do it,' and our people at Fox worked very well with Mark," she said. "We’re getting everything we want, and it’s just great. Not that we need like billions of dollars, but they have been really great in okaying our material and our little bits that we want to do."



Lynch is also nominated for Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy, but her hosting duties have prevented her from being too nervous about the award.


"My nerves will mostly be focused towards doing the show. It’s almost a relief not to have to think about having been nominated," she said. "I’m very, very honored to be nominated and especially honored to be in the group that I’m in. I think they’re just amazing actresses and there’s such good television."


Although she knows a few of the show's previous hosts, she hasn't gotten any advice from them.


"I know Neil (Patrick Harris), and Ellen (DeGeneres), and Jimmy (Fallon), and Jimmy sent me flowers, but nobody has given me any tips," she said.


Lynch has made it clear that Sue and her track suits won't be making an appearance, but what else will viewers definitely not see?


"I probably won’t wear a tracksuit. I probably won’t do an elaborate dance number—what else won’t happen? I hope you won’t be bored," she said.


Lynch knows hosting award shows can be tricky, but she has big goals to make this year's Emmys memorable.


"I’d be lying if I didn’t say that, 'I want it to be the best award show ever,'" she said. "It’s such a coveted spot, and it’s like the biggest evening in television, so you want to do it justice."


"The 63rd Annual Primetime Emmys" air on FOX Sunday Sept. 18 at 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m PT.

No comments: