Sunday, August 19, 2007

Perfect piece of cinema

As I stated last week, “Jurassic Park” is one of my favorite films of all time. It is only fitting that my favorite scene in a movie is from the film.

Back at the start of summer when we created a list of topics for us to blog about, I thought about how much I loved this particular part in “Jurassic Park” and suggested this topic.

The scene I am talking about is when the main characters arrive at Jurassic Park and are driving in the Jeeps. The scene really focuses on three characters; Dr. Alan Grant (Sam Nei1l), Dr. Ellie Sattler (Laura Dern) and Ian Malcolm (Jeff Goldblum.)

Sattler is looking at some plant life, which she says has been extinct for millions of years and all of a sudden Grant’s hand turns her head to look at the dinosaur (I believe it is a Brontosaurus).

The great thing about this movie is that the main characters see the dinosaurs the same time as the audience does, so there is a shared feeling of “WOW!”

Everything is perfect and dead-on with this scene. The directing hits all the right marks, the writing makes you feel like you are right there and the acting is as good as it gets. Neill’s performance in this scene was overlooked by many people. Here was a man who had studied fossils all his life and now he was looking at a living breathing dinosaur in front of him, he does what most people might do (well, other than run screaming…), have to sit down. The look on Grant’s face when he sees the dozens of other dinosaurs in the distance is also great and so full of emotion, especially when he comes to the realization that he was right in his work “They're moving in herds. They do move in herds.”

I challenge anyone to say that they hated this scene (must have a good arguement!).

On a sad note, this is my last blog for this site. Stay tuned for a new set of writers to take over. I promise they will at least try to be entertaining.

Thank you and goodnight.

No comments: