Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The first rule is...

As much as I'd love to say that I hate "Fight Club," I simply can't. As much of a cult hit as it has become, it'd be easy for me to sit here and say, "I don't see why everyone loves it so much," but I can't say that. Simply put, "Fight Club" is my favorite movie, bar none.

Between David Fincher's ("SE7EN, Panic Room") darker-than-dark directing, Jim Uhls' fantastic screenplay based on Chuck Palahniuk's book of the same name, and the jaw-droppingly skillful acting trio of Edward Norton, Brad Pitt, and Helena Bonham Carter, "Fight Club" is not a movie you can easily ignore.

Brad Pitt steals the show in this film, no questions asked. His portrayal of Tyler Durden has created a character that has become legendary in cinema, a smugly anarchistic man's man that is the embodiment of what the contemporary male longs to be.

Being a projectionist named Tyler D. myself, I feel a certain connection with the character. Pitt's delivery, his manner of speaking, makes the role, and one of the most unforgettable moments in the movie, albeit not a single line (although the first two rules are the most famous), is his recitation of "the rules," the fight club ethos. These are as follows:

"Gentlemen, welcome to fight club. The first rule of fight club is you do not talk about fight club. The second rule of fight club is...you do not talk about fight club. Third rule of fight club...someone yells "stop," goes limp, taps out, the fight is over. Fourth rule...only two guys to a fight. Fifth rule...one fight at a time, fellas. Sixth rule...no shirts, no shoes. Seventh rule...fights will go on as long as they have to. And the eighth, and final, rule...if this is your first night at fight club...you have to fight."

Of course, this is just a sample of the incredible dialogue that comes out of Tyler Durden's mouth, or anyone in the film's, for that matter. See more of it here.

Or, better yet, go out and buy the book by Chuck Palahniuk, definitely my favorite author and one of the best ones around today.

1 comment:

Timothy Guy said...

I really don't know how I feel about the movie. I remember seeing it in the theater, walking out in a sort of haze and wondering "What the heck did I just see?".

To this day I haven't watched it again, but you are right the quotes are great.