Friday, June 8, 2007

These are good movies, really!

I have a confession to make. I like crappy movies.

Well, sometimes.

OK, let me explain...when I see a movie for the first time, I rarely think of it in terms of cinematic quality. You know, "good" good movies, like "The Shawshank Redemption" or "The Godfather." More often than not, I think of movies in terms of what they’re trying to be.

Thus, I end up liking movies like "House of 1000 Corpses" and "Ghost Rider," because they’re not trying to be anything more than good, old-fashioned cheese. And if there’s anything I like, it’s cheese.

That being said, I had to rack my brain in a pretty thorough way before I could come up with some genuinely good underrated movies that were out there.
My first pick is the remake of "The Hills Have Eyes," released just last year. From director Alexandre Aja (whose previous effort, "High Tension"...well, nevermind, that’s a whole other blog altogether), "The Hills Have Eyes" puts a new spin on Wes Craven’s 1977 horror flick that told of "mutants in them thar hills!" This time around, the "eyes" in question are mutated by radioactive fallout.

"The Hills Have Eyes" works on a much more personal level than the majority of horror films do these days. Without spoiling too much, the movie’s scariest moments see family members seeing other family members put through unspeakable horrors by these mutated cannibals. That adds a whole new element to the fear and the terror that works on a much more demented, traumatizing level. This element is what truly sets "The Hills Have Eyes" apart from the barrage of disappointment that has been the horror genre lately.

My second pick is another 2006 film, "A Scanner Darkly." An adaptation of Philip K. Dick’s classic science fiction novel of the same name, "A Scanner Darkly" is shown entirely in rotoscoped animation, giving it the surreal feel of "animated reality."

The film is highlighted by superb performances, the most entertaining of which being displayed by supporting actors Robert Downey, Jr. and Woody Harrelson. Downey, Jr. and Harrelson are the film’s comic relief, playing the parts of Bob Arctor’s (Keanu Reeves) paranoid, drug-addicted friends perfectly.

Following an intriguing, yet cleverly crafted storyline, "A Scanner Darkly" is definitely one of the best (and one of the most underrated) science fiction films to be made in a long, long time.

No comments: