Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Dan's two films worth your four bucks that you probably didn't know/think you'd like

So, I had to give this a lot of thought: what are two movies that I find underrated? What are two movies that I think everyone should see that they probably haven't heard of?

One came to mind immediately: "Undercover Brother", a hillarious movie made in 2002 starring Eddie Griffin, Chris Kattan and Dave Chapelle. I'm not a big fan of Kattan, but luckily, you've got Chapelle.

So, right now you're probably thinking "What?! Why?!"

I know. It looks like another bad "black comedy" where it's just a bunch of evil white guys trying to do evil things. And it pretty much is. But black stereotypes are not comletely vacant, as is immediately clear early in the film when Undercover Brother spins out his ride, doing about seven 360s.... without spilling a single drop of his orange soda. If you get past prejudice against this type of movie (and Chris Kattan), then Undercover Brother is a great comedy that is worth watching, just to hear about how Will Smith "raps happy."

My second choice for underrated movies won some acclaim, even an Oscar, but is overlooked but most people. "The Motorcycle Diaries" with Gael Garcia Bernal (pre-"Science of Sleep") portraying the young future-revolutionary leader Che Guevara as he travels with his friend Alberto Granado (played perfectly by Rodrigo De la Serna. Along the way they face heart-shattering obstacles, and end up at a leper colony.

"The Motorcyle Diaries" will be scoffed at by most guys, and even by some females who don't have the attention span to watch a movie that is almost non-fiction, but trust me... it's worth it. I had my doubts when I sat down to watch it, I even stacked Ritz crackers (32, is that a record?) for the first fifteen minutes. But watch this movie, it just might change the way you think about the world.

No comments: