Friday, January 6, 2012

Best movies of 2011 (middle of the pack)

Stephanie and I are still in the midst of putting together our top films of 2011 lists.

Granted, there are a few more movies each of us want to see. Side note: Can "The Artist" please expand to a few more theaters so we can see it?

Ranking my top films doesn't require much. As soon as I see a film I immediately rank it. Back in the day I used to just keep them all in a Word file.

Now I use Yahoo Movies because they have a pretty sweet "My Movies" section where you can review and rank films. On one particularly boring Saturday, I threw all my lists onto the site.

I got each year all the way to 1984 ranked. I have a catch-all 1983 and below list for everything else.

Since putting my top 10 and bottom one movie out there would spoil our big presentation, I thought I could post the middle of the pack films. Not the worst films, but not the best either.

I will say that, so far, I've seen 30 films (not counting multiple viewings of the same film). So here are the 18 films that are not in the top 10 best and bottom two worst:

28. "X-Men: First Class" - I remember Stephanie and I sitting in the theater laughing because it was so bad. And this coming from a die-hard "X-Men" fan.
27. "In Time"
26. "Everything Must Go"
25. "Cedar Rapids" - I was looking forward to this one for months. Too bad it was seriously unfunny.
24. "Transformers: Dark of the Moon" - Only thing that saved this one from being worst of the year was some great effects. And not the horrible JFK ones.
23. "Horrible Bosses"
22. "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides" - Is it sad that the pirate parts of "Tintin" were better than this entire movie?
21. "Real Steel"
20. "The Lincoln Lawyer"
19. "Bridesmaids" - Funny, but not that funny. Come on son.
18. "Green Lantern" - I didn't hate it as much as other people did.
17. "Harry Potter"
16. "Cowboys and Aliens"
15. "Paul"
14. "The Hangover: Part II" - Yes, it's the same exact movie, but it's funny.
13. "Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows"
12. "Larry Crowne" - Heartwarming and meaningful. And a movie your parents can see with you.
11. "Fright Night" - Barely, barely missed the top 10. Rarely can a remake be a good movie, but this one worked on so many levels. Bonus points for awesome David Tennant.

So there it is. Next week (or so) we'll be putting up our official lists. Of course, even this one is subject to change.

No comments: