Tuesday, May 24, 2011

R.I.P. Macho Man

Wrestling superstar "Macho Man" Randy Savage died last week in a car accident.

Sure, he hadn't wrestled in years but he still was one of the best.

I talked about him numerous times in my Wrestlemania recap articles weeks ago.

He had the total package before Shawn Michaels opened the door for everyone else. Savage could wrestle, be a high flier, a tough guy and great on the microphone.

To this day that combo is a rarity.

I remember back in 1992 I got to see Savage live in person at an event in San Bernardino. I remember it clearly to this day.

He was the World Champion for the WW(F)E and was wrestling Jake "The Snake" Roberts in a steel cage. That ugly giant blue steel cage.

When Savage's music hit the crowd went nuts and he ran around the ring clapping hands with the crowd. I didn't get his hand, but I got to touch a tassle on his jacket.

And that was just as good for me.

He won that match and we talked about it for days.

Can't really think of the right words, but WWE did it for me with this awesome tribute video.

No comments: