Monday, March 15, 2010

'She's Out of My League' or been there, done that

I had a free movie ticket buring a hole in my pocket so I went and saw "She's Out of My League" this weekend.

Let's just say I didn't hate the movie, but I really didn't like it either. I think I laughed maybe two or three times. It is charming, but not at all what I was expecting.

In fact most of the time something bugged me. There were a lot of similarities between it and "Hot Tub Time Machine," which I loved. So in the best journalistic way possible I'm going to list the similarities and give a point to the movie which has the better one.

1. Four guy friends getting into trouble

  • "She's Out of My League" - The biggest star is that guy from "Knocked Up."
  • "Hot Tub Time Machine" - John Cusack, 'nuff said.

Winner: "Hot Tub Time Machine"

2. "Hey, I got killed in 'Cloverfield!'

  • "She's Out of My League" - Mike Vogel dies when the monster destroys a bridge. T.J. Miller gets eaten (well, half of him does).
  • "Hot Tub Time Machine" - Lizzy Caplin dies by exploding after getting bitten.

Winner: "Hot Tub Time Machine"

3. One of the friends gets on stage and performs '80s music.

  • "She's Out of My League" - T.J. Miller performs "Kiss on my List."
  • "Hot Tub Time Machine" - Craig Robinson performs "Jessie's Girl."

Winner: "Hot Tub Time Machine" (Bonus points for "Let's Get It Started").

4. Male Nudity

  • "She's Out of My League" - Pastey white and skinny Jay Baruchel.
  • "Hot Tub Time Machine" - Out of shape and hairy Rob Corddry.

Winner: Aren't we the losers here? Tie?

5. Tubby friend who seems to be the only one making any sense!

  • "She's Out of My League" - Nate Torrance (Who was in that awful "Get Smart" spinoff.)
  • "Hot Tub Time Machine" - Clark Duke (Who was in that awful "Sex Drive.")

Winner: Clark Duke, because he didn't annoy me with those Capital One commericals. Plus, Stephanie loves "Greek" so he gets a bonus point.

6. Offensive humor.

  • "She's Out of My League" - One of the friends helps the lead character shave his privates.
  • "Hot Tub Time Machine" - I can't even find the words to describe the most offensive part without getting graphic myself.

Winner: "Hot Tub Time Machine"

7. Screenplay

  • "She's Out of My League" - Sean Anders and John Morris.
  • "Hot Tub Time Machine" - Sean Anders, John Morris and Josh Heald.

Winn... hey! Look at that. Two of the same writers.

Problem solved.

No comments: