Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Adventures in Austin part one


I had the unique opportunity to spend a few days in Austin, Texas last week. Ever since I got back I have been trying to put into words how to explain Austin.

"Interesting" comes to mind. I saw a lot of logos and slogans for the city that said "Keep Austin Weird" and nothing makes that clear more than Sixth Street.

My hotel was two blocks away from Sixth Street, which is said to be the music capital of the nation. I made sure to take several trips to the street to check it out and see what I could find.

Music, of course, is a big part of the area. But, not just one type. It was a mash up of all sorts of different music clubs in one (relatively) small area. Think of it like The Grammys being held in a clown car.
As I walked down Sixth Street I passed a club playing rock music, right next door was a place with country music. Directly across the street was a hip hop club and next to that a jazz club. One would think that would create this giant mess of combined musical sounds, but it works.

In between the clubs are hole-in-the-wall pizza places (I counted five) including a "Death Metal" pizza place blaring death metal music and looking very dark and scary. Even my super brave journalistic curiosity couldn't get me to go inside... or take a picture of it in business.

If you love live music, drinking a lot or maybe a nice mixture of both then Austin seems to be the best town to do it in.

It's like a dinner buffet of musical choices.

No comments: