Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Why 'The Avengers' is important (to me)

"I have had a dream all my life, and it was not this good."

Joss Whedon spoke those words in Hall H at Comic-Con almost two years ago. He was joined on stage by "The Avengers" cast and the crowd was going wild.

Seeing it first hand I can say the noise level was so high that it almost was dream-like. It was a magical moment. I still remember the looks of amazement on the faces of the people around me.

"The Avengers" as a movie is a dream come true.

I best explained this to a co-worker today. For nerds and comic geeks, this is one of the biggest things in our lifetime. Second only to a "Justice League" movie.

My co-worker tried to understand what I meant and said "So is this like the excitement I would have seeing Axl and Slash performing as Guns 'N' Roses again?"

YES!

For my entire life there has always been "The Avengers." I have early memories (man, I must have been 4-years-old) of Captain America and The Hulk. My brother and I would play in the park as Avengers all the time. In school, my friends and I would dream cast roles.

I wish I would have kept those. Late 1980s actors as the Avengers? Sweet.

But, for some reason, the thought of an "Avengers" movie was so close, yet so far away. It always seemed "too big" to be made. It was long thought to be a dream project that was just that, a dream.

And it kind of feels like that still today. As of writing this, I'm about 30 hours away from seeing the film. Thirty hours away after 30 years of waiting.

My 11-year-old niece Zoe is excited to see the movie too. I can't imagine what my 11-year-old self would do in that position.

So, don't write "The Avengers" off as just another comic book film. It is far more than that.

It is a dream come true for many wonderful and patient people

No comments: