Friday, December 30, 2011

Best pop culture moments of 2011

2011 was a great year for pop culture.

There were plenty of great TV moments, great movies and a wave of excellent comics.

Stephanie and I were lucky enough to witness a lot of them firsthand.

So here are some of my favorite moments from 2011 that I saw with my own eyes in person:


Just like the electric moment at Comic-Con 2010 I was able, once again, to see "Avengers" madness firsthand.

And Disney made us work for it. I literally had to sit through hours of stuff to get maybe 5 minutes of "Avengers" stuff. Some of it was great (first look at "The Muppets"), some alright ("Brave") and then a painful, what seemed like four hour long look at "John Carter."

But, I was one of only a couple thousand people to see "Avengers" footage that, to this day, has still not been shown anywhere else. Bragging rights alone were awesome enough.

Another great moment was seeing "Weird Al" Yankovic perform literally a mile away from my house.

It was a two hour plus long show that had all of the hits performed. I got chills when he started playing "Eat It."

He really can put on a show. The audience was filled with everyone from kids to older people. Talk about a varied audience. And not just a good show, but he sounded great. Like CD quality good.

Here's a quick clip of his performance at my show.

It was also beyond exciting to see him at the "Nerdist" taping Stephanie and I went to. As he was walking in (without an entourage) I smiled and nodded to him and not a nerdy nod back. Then I sat behind him for one segment.

I polietly asked him if there was any chance he would play the Coachella Music Festival this year and he replied with a big smile "If they ask me!"

Because he was so amazing I went nuts with my acting ability when they announced him as The Nerdist of the Year.

Seriously, look out for the crazy guy behind Al at the seven second mark:



But, my No. 1 favorite pop culture moment of 2011 was actually at Coachella this year. When it was announced that Duran Duran would perform, I got a little excited.

Then as the show loomed closer, I got even more excited.

Then as Duran Duran took to the stage I started geeking out. They first played "Planet Earth" and woke everyone up.

And then this happened:



It was glorious and amazing. I called Stephanie just to make sure I wasn't dreaming. I actually turned into a crazy man, dancing around and singing along.

No comments: