Saturday, September 12, 2009

"FlashForward" preview

As a part of the D23 expo, ABC is offering previews of a few of its new fall series. Among the most buzzed about is "FlashForward."

The show examines what happens when everyone in the world blacks out for 2 minutes and 17 seconds and sees six months into the future. The series features stars Joseph Fiennes, John Cho and Courtney B. Vance with an ensemble cast.

As a result of the global blackouts the world is in chaos. There is endless destruction and no explanation. Fiennes plays a happily married FBI agent who is a recovering alcoholic who sees himself as a paranoid drunk investigating the phenomenon. His wife Olivia is a doctor who sees herself with another man and his partner Demetri (Cho) doesn't see anything which causes him great concern.

With all the talk and buzz its created, I expected "FlashForward" to immediately grab me and pull me in. Unfortunately, this was not the case. I found the pilot slow moving and poorly paced making for a completely unriveting 45 minutes of TV.

Fiennes does okay in the lead but the role doesn't seem fully developed yet, so I suppose I'll have to wait and see. As a matter of fact none of the characters were all that interesting, which is a problem in a character driven drama like this.

Dominic Monaghan is supposed to join the cast in the second episode as the mysterious Simon, though it's hard to say how many people will stick around considering that it's up against "The Mentalist."

All in all I found "FlashForward" a bit unremarkable, but I will give it another couple episodes to find its footing, but it needs to find it fast or I'll move on.

No comments: